My trusted bike is a BMW 1995 R 100 GS/PD classic. I just love this bike and it goes by “Trudi”. It is 20 years old now has about 120 000 km on it and the bike deserves this trip. There are so many opinions on what bike to take but in the end it does not matter. It is about the adventure and journey which can be achieved with any kind of bike. Don’t over think stuff – just do it.
“Trudi” is an old airhead with simple technology, nothing fancy, a little slow but dependable (just like the owner). I just love to stick to a bike and maintain it. I am a member of the “airheads“, which is a community of like-minded BMW owners who enjoy this old technology.
- Written by Airheads Beemer Club
- Airheads ride Beemers with air-cooled heads.
- Airheads believe that the simplest engineering solutions are best.
- Airheads appreciate function over form, fact over fiction, and friendship over friction.
- Airheads regard money as a tool, not a status symbol.
- Airheads are earthy people who like to camp.
- Airheads maintain their own motorcycles.
- Airheads don’t take themselves, religion, or life too seriously.
- Airheads like to share time, knowledge, parts, and camaraderie with other Airheads.
Now there are a lot of people who say that with two bikes on a trip you should choose the same bikes which makes a lot of things easier when it comes to spare parts and diagnosing problems. But I had this bike even before Feli thought of making her motorcycle license, so it is not gonna happen – love “Trudi” too much.
Feli’s bike is a 2007 BMW F 650 GS (single cylinder). It is ergonomically the right bike for her and it can take the rough stuff with no problem and it is not too heavy. Feli’s bike and mine have nothing in common, hers is fuel injected, computerized, chain driven and far more complicated.
So it is going to be interesting to see how the bikes will handle this one year trip.
Panniers can never hold everything you want, but they CAN hold everything you NEED
Na das nenn ich mal eine gute Sache.
Ich drücke Euch die Daumen, dass alles so abläuft, wie Ihr das geplant habt.
Aber wieso Gummikuh; läuft die Guzzi etwa nicht mehr?
Hey Markus, die Guzzi steht in der Scheune seid 15 Jahren. Der Motor is mir um die Ohren geflogen. Deshalb deutsche Gummikuh, haelt besser – hoffe ich.